Make your own free website on

 Right: Louis (Lewis) Alma Daniel 


Excerpt from:
                        The Brunswicker 
                                          Aug 15, 1913

                                     Killing at Newcomer

                       Louis Daniel Fatally Shot by John Barnes

A deplorable and fatal shooting affray took place at the village of Newcomer,
6 miles north of Brunswick about 10;30 Monday (Aug.11) morning of this week, in which Louis Daniels, a man of about 50 years of age, lost his life.  The shooting was done by John Barnes, who for many years has conducted
Newcomer's only store.
The trouble between Barnes and Daniels is said to have been over a patch of
potatoes.  It is said that Daniels had planted the potatoes on land
belonging to Barnes and that the potatoes were to be divided equally between
the two men, one to dig one row, the other the next.  It is said that after
Daniels had gone to the patch to dig some potatoes Monday morning he went to the store and accused Barnes of digging some of his (Daniels) potatoes.
Angry words passed between the two men and soon led up to the shooting.
There is some conflict as to the minute details the shooting, but according
to the testimony of Earl Whitehair, a young man who work for Barnes, Barnes
told Daniels he could dig potatoes were ever he damned pleased.  Daniel told
him he would dig them whenever he got ready. Whitehair further stated that Daniels went out on the porch of the store and that Barnes secured a hammer and went out where Daniels was.  Barnes then came back into the store and Daniels followed him and kicked him.  Daniels then went back out on the porch, and according to Whitehair, Barnes went to a drawer and got his revolver and went out on the porch  Daniels was out in the middle of the road.  Two shots were fired and at the last shot, Whitehair said he saw Daniels fall.  Whitehair was the only witness present when the shooting occurred.
The bullet which killed Daniels struck him about 3 inches below and to the
left of his right shoulder ranging downward through the lungs.  He died about
15 or 20 minutes later of hemorrhage.
Immediately after the shooting and before Daniels died Barnes started to
town to give himself up to authorities.  He went before Justice L. E.
Merrill and told his story of the shooting.
Daniels leaves a wife and several children.

There is an account of the hearing of Barnes, the death of Louis Daniels in
the following week newspaper but the papers were hard to read and when
binding the books part of the story was covered up so I did not attempt to
copy it.  If you could get microfilm of the paper you would be able to copy
it for yourself and follow up on the trial.

Transcribed by: Rose Mary